With the introduction of School-based Assessment, teachers are concerned with how they can make reading more pleasurable for students and at the same time enhance their discussion skills. This collaborative action research project outlines how two teachers implemented Literature Circles in their classrooms. Results indicated that with proper training, students were able to perform different roles in Literature Circles, interact more with each other, learn basic social and discussion skills, and find themselves more motivated to read. The implications for teaching are that it is important to:
- provide students with quality book choices;
- carefully prepare students before setting them to discuss;
- set good quality questions for discussions;
- create a safe environment for students to make mistakes; and
- provide training for discussion leaders to facilitate discussions.